Friday, September 16, 2016

Ethiopian runner Feyisa Lilesa Scared to Return back to Country

"With his simple gesture, Lilesa joined a long list of athletes who have used the global sports stage to protest what they describe as injustices in their home communities."





Summary

Ethiopian marathon runner decided to make a political statement in the Rio Olympics. By crossing his arms, it signified the political prisoners and dissidents in Ethiopia, who have been imprisioned for protesting against the taking and selling of land belonging to the Oromo people to forgein investors. The Oromo are Ethiopia's largest ethic group and make up at least a third of Ethiopia's 100 million people. He is now scared to go home due to consequences he could face for bringing Ethiopia's government issues on a national scale. Lilesa's family is still in Ethiopia. He has two daughters and a wife trapped in Ethiopia and is not in fear that his family may be killed. Some say that he will deemed a hero if he comes back but he claims that he will be killed or put on a list of people never allowed to leave the country again. He is currently in the US on a special skills visa to train for upcoming races.

Connection

This event is relevant to the parts of history that we have learned about and heard about in many aspects both part and current. We learned last year about the conditions and political restrictions the people in South Africa. Another example is how Nelson Mandela and the ANC affected the government through both peaceful and physical protests. Yet currently we see many athletes in the US such as Colin Kaepernick, Meagan Rapinoe, and Arian Foster kneeling while the National Anthem in playing before the games. No matter what the issue is we today have technology which has allowed us to take our issues to a whole new audience.

Questions

How would you react if you were part of the government in which is being protested against?
What would you say if you were given the chance to speak for the injustices happening in the US?

Link http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/21/world/rio-olympics-ethiopian-marathoner/

15 comments:

  1. This is a particularly relevant issue in todays world. people from Lilesa to kaepernick have chose to stand up and protest the system that they are subject to. I don't know about the freedom of speech laws in Ethiopia, but if it were I in charge of the system, I would not blame people for speaking their mind. People should feel comfortable enough to express their views without facing negative repercussions. No system is perfect, so the right should be granted for the citizens to speak up for injustices to improve a bettering society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Tilman. If I were the government I would not be happy that Lilesa brought so much attention to the issues, but he should feel that he has the right to bring attention to issues in his own ways. Society advances when people speak up and introduce new ideas or stand up for what they believe in, so people should feel that they have the opportunity to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Natalie, however, if I was part of a government that is being protested against, I would do whatever I could in my power to help the cause in which I support. I would try to persuade my coworkers in joining my cause. I would stay away from violence as much as I can

    ReplyDelete
  4. He should go home and stop being scared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if he wasn't put on a list for protesting against the government. In his case, which when you do protest globally horrible things can happen to you and your family.

      Delete
  5. I agree with Tilman and Natalie, i feel like Lilesa should have the right to express how he feels and it`s really brave that he stood up for what he believe in and what he thinks he should do. On the other hand, if i was the government, i wouldn`t be too happy about the whole protest. I just feel like violence is not the best way to solve any problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also agree with Tilman because it is very similar to what Kaepernick is doing now because people should be able to express their own feelings their own way. If he chooses to take a knee during the pledge of allegiance then he should.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I were apart of government I wouldn't really be too happy about it, but everyone has their own opinion and freedom to speak for what they believe in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My opinion agrees with Kimberlys statement, on how all people should have the right to speak their mind and if I was Lilsea I would be proud of what I did. On the other hand if I was the government, I would understand why the government was upset but would not have such harsh consequences like the ones Lilsea stated. Instead I would try to compromise with the athlete in attempts to reduce tension in the country. If I were given the chance to speak for the injustices in the US I would try and represent all the incidences that happened and try to make things right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. if i were a part of a government that is socially unjust, i would speak out for the people.Even if there were national consequences being considered, it would be for the greater good in order for other countries to step in and make changes.i would have not represented this protest in any other way because everyone across the world is watching it and nothing is more effective than a message from a respected athlete.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I understand why the government was upset, but I think if I were a part of the government I would want to stand up for people who bring attention to injustices. I would respect their protests because I believe everyone should have the ability to voice their opinions. I think the way Lilesa represented his protest was smart and effective because it got a lot of people to think, especially the government. If I were to speak for the injustices of the US, I would want to bring attention to many different problems happening now, such as undocumented citizen laws.

    ReplyDelete