Thursday, October 13, 2016

New Bill ends Discrimination against WWII women pilots

Newsela Article

Summary: 
Harmon, one out of about a thousand Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASPs) who were pilots who flew noncombat missions for the military, has been fighting to be one of the honorable people who could be buried at Arlington National Cemetery. The Women who were apart of WASPs were unable to get veteran status in the military because the official record of their effort was private, but then President Jimmy Carter has signed to honor those efforts and give them veteran status if it was earned. At Arlington National Cemetery, they were allowed to have WASPs members be buried in the cemetery because they were honorable and helped many during World War II. It was only just a month ago before Harmon died that the cemetery manager has said that WASPs members could not be buried in the cemetery no more because of the limited space they had. This has made many angry and so Harmon's last wishes were to be buried in the military cemetery so her family has fought for her. They have ended up creating a new bill that would end discrimination against WWII women pilots.
Connection: 
This connects to the Civil Rights Movements because the people of their kind were not allowed the same privilege that many others would get. The Women Pilots were discriminated against and had less of opportunity and rewards than men do. After the changes and many people being infuriated, They have changed it so the people could get the same things men get.
Discussion Questions: 
What would you have done if you were in Harmon's situation?
How would you feel if you did not have the same opportunities as everybody else does?
Would this be a leading step to end discrimination as a whole in America?

7 comments:

  1. if i did not have the same oppurtunity as everyone else by default,i would be upset.it is understandable that people are not given some thingsbased on decisions they are made,however,everyone deserves the first chance at the bare minimum.this is a leading step towards women becoming more involved in society

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with this, many do not have the same opportunities and this could be the start to giving women more opportunities.

      Delete
  2. If I was in Harmon's situation, I would wish that I would be buried fairly with the other people. I would request for people to fight for their place in society while they still have the chance. I would feel that there is still discrimination in our country that is not being attended to if I did not have the same opportunities as others. In that case, this act will be one of the steps needed to spread awareness about the fact that there is still discrimination in America

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not being able to share the same opportunities as others would be unfair and so I would feel a little frustrated and sad that I wasn't treated the same way. The fact that discrimination still lingers around every corner is so irritating so I would fight to get my spot and try to put an end to the nonsense. Being able to be awarded the same opportunity would be a leading step to trying to end discrimination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not being able to share the same opportunities as others would be unfair and so I would feel a little frustrated and sad that I wasn't treated the same way. The fact that discrimination still lingers around every corner is so irritating so I would fight to get my spot and try to put an end to the nonsense. Being able to be awarded the same opportunity would be a leading step to trying to end discrimination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I was Harmon I would also try to fight for the same respect that all veterans of war deserve, including being buried in the cemetery. I would feel discriminated against and disrespected by the people who don't treat me equally as other veterans are treated. I don't believe discrimination will ever truly completely end; however, I believe this is a small step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I were in Harmon's situation I would want to speak up for myself and fight for the same opportunities. I would feel discriminated against if I were not given the same conditions as others. I think this would be a leading step to end discrimination because women need their voices to be heard and this is one example of that.

    ReplyDelete