Monday, October 17, 2016

Should Euthanasia or Physician-Assisted Suicide Be Legal?




Summary: Euthanasia is drug administered to medically kill a patient upon request. It is administered to patients in critical condition that have few months to live and are in a lot of pain. In all cases that this drug is used, death is a better option than what the patient is currently experiencing. The law being passed to make euthanasia legal in California is being thought about currently. The reason for it not being passed would be that the government fears it will be abused and not used carefully enough so that more people will be in danger.  It is also a feared that people will not be sure what to think about it and will not know when it is really necessary or when they will really need it. Some people have argued that it is immoral, just as immoral as abortion. However, abortion is not up to the child it is up to the mother and the person using euthanasia would make the decision to terminate their own life, making it more moral. The question is will it or will it not become legal.

Relevance: This is relevant in US history because it is an issue about what laws should or should not be passed. It is questioned if it is necessary/ if it is helpful for people in California. Similar to how laws were passed about slavery being abolished and others not being sure about even if it was the right thing to do.

Discussion Questions: Should this drug be legal?
How would you feel about someone close to you using this if need be?
Would you take it if you needed it?
Will it be abused?

7 comments:

  1. I think this drug should become legal because it would only apply to those who really need it. If someone close to me took this I would be sad but I would understand because it would help them out because they would not suffer as much. I would probably take it if I needed it, and I dont think it will be abused because not everyone can take it, i did some research a while ago and i know it has to be reccomended by a doctor and usually for people with terminal diseases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I do think this should be legal in California. Like Marlene said, it is used for people with terminal disease when is it a choice of, do you want to live out however long you have in pain, or choose when and stop the pain. I know a few years ago, a lady had the choice and she chose this option. She was able to pick when and was able to go surrounded by her family and close friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think that is should be legal but before they even use the drug they should make sure that the person taking it is ok with it. It would also apply to people who really need it like if they are already in a lot of pain you shouldn't deny them the right to die quickly without feeling that much pain

    ReplyDelete
  4. If one of my family members was suffering something that can't be cured and can only be treated but, caused them immense pain. I would understand why they would want to have Euthanasia and if they asked, Yes I would be very upset that I lost a family member but, I would be more upset if they continued to suffer in agony until they die a painful death anyway. So, Yes I think Euthanasia should be legal. If I think it's going to be abused or not well if the hospitals are the only ones you can use it. Than it should be kept in a security tight containment system like any other dangerous chemicals that doctors use in hospitals

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that Euthanasia should be legal with the patients consent. I be very sad to lose a family member, but I´d rather have them get what they wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it should be legal with full consent. It is often sad to see a loved one get incredibly sick, but it is worse to see them go through intense pain before their passing. If I was going to die and I was going through extreme pain I would accept the Euthanasia. I do not think it will be abused because it does require a physician to recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel that euthanasia should be legal only to patients who are in very critical conditions and are absolutely sure about this choice. I personally think it's choice, wether or not want to continue being in great pain or ending it. I would feel really sad if someone close to me made this decision. At the same time I would understand why they made this choice.

    ReplyDelete