Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Uber’s dismissive treatment of sexism is all too typical in corporate America

Summary: Uber has recently under “fire” in what happened to Susan Fowler, who was a former software engineer, facing sexism and harassment from her supervisor. When she complained to the human resource team about this issue; the supervisor had a “stern-talk” and considered it a first offense, but when they talked to Susan Fowler, she was told to stay on that team or risk a performance review. Fowler mentioned that other employees were being harassed by the same manager and contradicting what HR said to her. When Fowler asked the director’s opinion on women’s representations of being an engineer, it mention that they need to step up and be better engineers. Another incident that happened was Uber ordered leather jackets for engineers, but were only for men. Fowler complained repeatedly to HR, thus causing them to believe that Fowler was the issue, not the manager. Fowler went to court against the company, but the company still sided with the harasser.
Connection: Throughout history, women have been treated differently. In the 1950s, women were encouraged to stay home, but some wanted to work. Those who work would have 60% pay of what a man would make for the same job.
Questions:
1. Do you think that Fowler's actions against her company were right? Do you think that the court was right? Explain.
2.Do you think that sexism such as this is common in many companies and how do you propose it can be fixed?

11 comments:

  1. I think Fowler's actions were right and the courts actions wrong because she was only asking to be treated equally as well as being treated with respect. I think that there aren't many companies that are sexist anymore just because of this day in age, but I don think they can fix this by just having general and equal rules that apply to both men and women

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Fowler's actions were correct, I think the court was wrong. It show's how there is still sexism towards women. I can't really say there is much sexism in many companies, just because i don't work in any companies or aren't that well informed but as we can see sexism is still common in this well-known company which makes it sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Fowler did the right thing and she should be treated equally. I don't think sexism is common but sadly it does exist like in this story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it was right of Fowler to take these actions against Uber. Even if the court did not side with her, it is important to raise these issues and expose how common they are and how much adversity women have to face

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was the right thing for Fowler to do because the U.S. doesn't tolerate any sort of harassment and we also believe in equality. There is no equality if men are doing different things than women when are they are doing the same job. Sexism is common everywhere, I don't know if this issue can be fixed because women are still being treated as inferior to men, even though we are all the same. We all eat and sleep, so I really don't see a difference between men and women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with what you said. It is a major issue that people have to face in a daily basis. Everyone should be treated equally wherever they go.

      Delete
  6. I think that Fowler's reaction and action was fair and justified because equality is an important right in life/the country. I do not think that there are many companies that are sexist because those companies would have had to die from unpopular opinion or suffer from less business due to their company wide views, so I think that these companies will just have to adapt or face the consequences of being sexist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that the decision was fair and justified because one of the US main factors is equality. In my opinion, there are not many companies known to be sexist. We are all human beings, there would be no difference between us

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that fowler did the right thing here. She should never sit at work and not do anything when she is being treated unfairly compared to her co-workers. I do not think the court is right, as I think there is sufficient proof that she was being treated differently because she was a girl. I think this is a common thing in society today. Although it has gotten a lot better. I thinks something we can do to moving toward a future without sexism is to hire women and men equally. That means to ensure the ratio between the two genders in a company are equal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I think employers should be forced to hire men and women equally in every industry.

      Delete
  9. I agree that Fowler made the right decision of taking actions against her company. I don't think many companies are sexist because they would have lost popularity due to the public, but it definitely still exists in businesses today.

    ReplyDelete