Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Tsunami pod inventor hopes it'll help families stay safe when disaster hits

Link: https://newsela.com/articles/tsunami-pod/id/27083/

Summary: Julian Sharpe created a way to stay safe during a hurricane, tornado, or tsunami. This capsule will prevent you from drowning or being crushed my debris. There are capsules that can hold 2 people or 4 people, in the capsule there is a 40-day supply of dehydrated food, warm clothing and an emergency radio. There are people all over the world that are planning to buy this capsule, many people believe that it would give them safety and a sense of comfort knowing that if there is a tsunami they have a way to escape. Jeanne Johnson, a lady who lives in Long Beach Peninsula stated that, “I bought that capsule to give me peace of mind, so I can sleep at night and not worry”.

Connection: During the 1950's there was a constant fear that the Soviet Union would attack the United States with an atomic bomb. Schools all over practiced the "duck and cover" drill and they were selling these fallout shelters that you would hide in if there was an attack. They opened Survival stores that sold air blowers, filters, flashlights, fallout protection suits, first aid kits and water. Such like the tsunami capsule, this gives people a sense of security, that they have a backup plan if anything were to happen.

Discussion Questions:

1. Do you think the tsunami capsule will actually work?

2. Do you think that this gives people false hope, like the "duck and cover" drills?

3. If you can do anything to improve the capsule, what would you do?

16 comments:

  1. I am kind of skepical about the tsunami pod because to be honest, it looks a little bit small. I think I would try and improve the pod by making it more affordable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that the tsunami capsule is a really great way to stay safe. If it has been tried out by people, then it should be a great way to stay safe. It definitely is not a false hope because the duck and cover was pretty useless knowing that if you duck and cover you can still get hurt. I personally would not make any changes because it seems to have everything a person needs to not drown or to not go through hunger and to not be cold. The capsule would be a great way to get out of danger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the Tsunami capsule will actually work and will be reliable to survive in especially it being stocked with a 40 day supply of dehydrated food, warm clothing and even a radio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think that the capsule is a great idea and it might actually work. I don't believe that it gives people false hope because it looks closed at capable of keeping everything inside safe. if i could improve the capsule i would just make it bigger. I think it'll be better if a whole family could fit in there instead of 1 or 2 people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the capsule will not work,but it is not a bad idea. I think this does give people false hope because it is a low chance that it will actually work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't really know if it would actually work, for me I personally would like to test it "UNDA THE SEA". I don't think it gives people false hope, I think its gives people hope that they are safe even if a natural disaster occurs. One thing I would improve about the capsule is the size of it, I would increase the size of the capsule.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know is the tsunami capsule will work since this seems too good to be true, I'm not sure if it is false home like the duck in cover since it seems like their at least trying to make people safe from natural disasters

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it will work to a certain extent, however I think there are a lot of flaws. And yes I think this gives people false hope because this is not guaranteed to work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the case of a tsunami I don't think it would work because the force of the water and the debris being carried can produce enough force for the capsal to be easily destroyed or carried away

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe that the tsunami capsule will work to some extent. It might give people false hope because not everyone can be saved through a natural disaster. I do think that more testing if it works or not.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The capsule could work to some extent; however, I do believe there are many flaws to it. For one, it is small and would create problems for people who are claustrophobic. It is not necessarily false hope if the creators of this product actually know that it could work and have intentions of making it available to consumers. Unlike "duck and cover" drills, the capsule could potentially help people in the event of a tsunami.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the capsules could work to some degree, but may not help in a very serious natural disaster. I think that this does give some false hope. Unless there is actual testing that proves that the capsules do work, it's just giving people false hope of safety.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I believe that if it been tested out multiple times then it should work. I believe that this does give a lot of people hope. I would change the capacity to 4 people because most people have a family of 4.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i feel like it would work, but it wouldn't work for a very severe natural disasters. This is a good way to take fear from people and give them some hope. the only natural disaster i think that it can take is probably a tsunami.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The capsule wont be certified unless it goes through the process of being in a natural disaster. I think the only factor that citizens will be able to feel is the sense of security and protection. This is also a possession of false hope because it wont be known that it failed until something severe happens. Testing can help tremendously that way the capsule can be improved in any and every beneficial way there is.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do think it will work till everything is okay again. I think this might actually work, you will never know until you try. i would make it bigger or with harder shell or better material.

    ReplyDelete